How to choose the right drink driving solicitors for you.
If you are facing a charge for driving under the influence of alcohol, finding specialist drink driving solicitors should almost certainly be your first port of call.
It’s the sensible step to make sure you are putting your best defence forward. Especially if you haven’t been in much contact with the courts before and you don’t know what the legal process is.
Here is everything you need to know about hiring the right drink driving lawyer:
What Is Drink Driving In The UK?
Drink driving in the UK is sometimes more properly called “being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink”.
The legal limits for how much alcohol you can have in your system vary by which part of the UK you are in:
- England, Wales, and Northern Ireland – 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood or 35mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath.
- Scotland – 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood or 22mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath or 67mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine.
What Is The Penalty For Drink Driving?
The penalties for drink driving can be severe. If you’re found guilty, you can be banned from driving and even sentenced to time in prison.
The specific sentence will be down to the individual decision of the magistrate hearing your case. The circumstances of your offence also have a large role in the potential eventual punishment:
- Being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink – up to 3 months imprisonment and a maximum £2500 fine along with a possible driving ban.
- Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink – up to 6 months imprisonment and an unlimited fine along with a minimum 1-year driving ban.
- Refusing to provide a specimen of breath, blood, or urine for analysis – the same 6 months imprisonment, unlimited fine, and minimum 1-year ban as above.
As you might imagine, the consequences get progressively worse if anything were to happen while you were driving a vehicle while under the influence of drink. For example, if you were to cause someone’s death by dangerous driving, you would face up to life imprisonment and an unlimited fine.
How Do I Defend A Drink Driving Charge?
The consequences of being found guilty of a drink driving charge can have a huge effect on your life. This makes working out the best way to defend against the charge and mitigate its effects vital to understand:
1) Get Legal Representation
If you are charged with an offence related to drink driving or receive a court summons, it is always a good idea to seek out professional legal representation as soon as possible.
Even if you believe you are innocent of the charge in question or there are mitigating circumstances of some kind, that is no guarantee the magistrate with see it that way – or that the law agrees with you.
With an expert in your corner though, you will understand the process and have the most effective defence made on your behalf by someone who understands the system.
2) Understand Any Mitigating Circumstances
Many people quite understandably are unaware of the kinds of legally-accepted mitigating circumstances that may apply to their case. This is where proper legal representation will again pay dividends.
3) Take A DDRS Course
After you have received a drink driving ban, the Drink-Drive Rehabilitation Scheme may allow you to reduce the length of your ban.
It is up to the court as to whether you are offered this possibility. It’s usually only available to those who have only slightly stepped “over the line”.
How To Choose Between “Drink Driving Solicitors Near Me”
Even a quick Google search for “drink driving solicitor near me” will show you that there are many law firms that specialise in motoring-related offences or specifically in defending people against drink driving charges.
This can make it difficult to choose between them. Always check their:
- Success rate – most successful drink driving solicitors will be happy to discuss the generalities of past cases and their success rate.
- Pricing structure – your priority will be putting forward the best possible defence. But don’t overlook the different ways lawyers charge for their services. If you can get a quote or fixed rate upfront, it’s usually desirable to do so.
Find The Right Drink Driving Lawyer
Of course, the best approach is simply never to drink and drive. But if you do find yourself facing a drink driving-related offence, we can help.
Let us find you the ideal friendly and approachable specialist in motoring offences for free and with zero obligation.