How to find good conveyancing solicitors near me
The solicitors you use to buy and sell property don’t always have the best reputation. So how do you find “good conveyancing solicitors near me”? It’s one of the most common search queries for legal services!
Here are some of the best ways you can ensure that you get the kind of positive experience you want from your conveyancers when you are buying or selling a house:
How To Find Good Conveyancing Solicitors Near Me
1) Check The Basics
This is the groundwork you would do with any legal service to confirm that they’re legitimate and qualified to do the job you need them to.
You can confirm this legitimacy with several of the legal sector’s independent bodies. Check the name of either your individual solicitor or the law firm they work for with:
- The Solicitors Regulation Authority – the SRA is the industry regulator for England and Wales. It offers the best register of details of individual solicitors in the UK and who they work for. Solicitors have to be listed with the SRA to remain on the roll.
- The Law Society – this is the professional association that represents solicitors in the UK. Their original Regulation Board split off and became independent, forming the SRA. The Law Society still exists though.
- The Council of Licensed Conveyancers – is the specialist industry regulator for property law. You can search for lawyers that are signed up with the CLC on their website.
2) Check Reviews, Testimonials, And Word Of Mouth
Online reviews and testimonials are an easy place to start if you want to get some idea of the quality you can expect from a law firm. Be wary though.
Because the image online reviews project isn’t perfect. For example, people who are happy with a service don’t tend to take the time to leave a review. People who are unhappy often will.
Word of mouth can be a good source of more personal reviews if you go with a local conveyancer. This is often a good choice because of their knowledge of the local property market and relationships with the necessary local authorities.
Again though, while word of mouth can be a useful weathervane, it’s no guarantee that a person’s perception of a conveyancer’s quality isn’t influenced by things outside of that conveyancer’s control…
3) Communication, Communication, Communication
The conveyancing process is a long one. It’s also one in which unexpected events can and do regularly crop up. Here is just a taste of the many tasks your conveyancing solicitor will be taking care of for you and what can take up more time than planned:
- Carry out property searches – relying on anywhere up to a dozen different organisations to respond in a timely manner.
- Raise issues – if any of those conveyancing searches turn up problems with the property, if you are buying, your solicitor will need to raise the issues and get further information.
- Negotiate contract terms – everything from a completion date that works for everyone to changes in asking price to deciding who has responsibility for making-good works relating to issues raised by the searches.
Unfortunately, if you’re buying or selling a property for the first time, all of this isn’t always obvious or made clear to you.
This is often the reason that conveyancing as a whole attracts a not-always-positive reputation. It’s not always that a conveyancing solicitor is doing their job poorly. It’s that many conveyancing tasks can become more time-consuming than expected.
Problems occur when a solicitor fails to update their client on how things are going. This means the ability to communicate clearly and regularly and to respond to your queries is perhaps the most vital quality any conveyancing solicitor can have.
This can be difficult to judge at the outset. It can be good to run some tests. Email them. Call them. See how quickly they respond or call you back and how helpful they are when they do.
Get A Little Help Finding Good Conveyancing Solicitors Near You
Of course, there is an easier solution. Solicitors Near Me was created by a former solicitor who realised how difficult it was for people to find a legal expert they could trust without a lengthy search.
Why not let us do the hard work for you? We’ll find you a good conveyancing solicitor near you for FREE and with no obligation to use their services if you don’t want to.